Dear Reader:

The world we have created
is a product of our thinking;
it cannot be changed without
changing our thinking
.”
— Albert Einstein

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Swamp hangout: Great Meadows

"My Swamp", with a surprise Spring snow falling.
From our Wayland house, I walked to the start of Old Stonebridge Road, turned left for a few yards, then crossed over Stonebridge Road. Taking the woods road covered in pine spills, I climbed over the aqueduct and headed down the path along the edge of the water. Finding a sunny, dry spot in this corner of Great Meadows Wildlife Preserve, I sat, to think, pray, contemplate.

Part of the waterfront scene, seen from my perch.


Geese, ducks, and other waterfowl had flown away as soon as they were aware of an intruder; but as I sat very still, swamp life picked up where it left off.  I was treated to the sight of a shiny-wet water mammal swimming among the partially submerged bushes. I continued my vigil, gradually taking in more and more detail of the life around me, until the feeble sun retreated behind clouds. To combat the creeping chill I pushed my gloves under me as a substitute sit-upon and zipped up my jacket. A quarter of an hour later snow began to ping down from that gray sky. I set off for home. The school bus on its afternoon run provided the only color in the neighborhood. By the time I got to our gravel road, the snow had stopped and blue sky prevailed. This snow/no snow weather pattern was to continue over and over until after sunset.  What a cold afternoon, for March!

We lit a fire in the fireplace that night.