Dear Reader:

The world we have created
is a product of our thinking;
it cannot be changed without
changing our thinking
.”
— Albert Einstein

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

horn of plenty

My new river valley is the Great Meadows Nature Reserve in eastern Massachusetts. The Sudbury River flows silently by not 100 yards from our front door. "Our" is my new husband, Roy Henry Barnacle, and me. Most of the people who know me, know me as Sara Mitchell Gallant. That I was for many years, until widowed two days after Thanksgiving 2008. You have missed your opportunity to feel sorry for me for losing Tom, for I have embarked upon an entirely new adventure in marrying Roy. Roy was born and raised in London, England, with the exception of the years he spent as a child evacuee in rural England and in Wales. I look at his kindly face and wonder how Hitler could have targeted such a child as he was. Roy has been a naturalized American for maybe 40 years, and maybe sometime I'll write about how we met. It was an unusual encounter because set in a small-town public library, and the telling of it might give rural singles too much hope.

My former river valley was of the Medomak, along the coast of Maine. I'll learn how to post pictures, so you can see how I hop from one beauty spot to another. Now, I must join Roy in getting in wood for our fireplace.

No comments: